How much does it cost to practice at the Portland Dojo?
Monthly Dues Outline:
- A prospective member may either watch or attend one class for free.
- A member may attend classes at $10 per class or $40 for an entire month.
- A member may bring their under 18 year old children for $20 per month, per child.
- There is a discount for paying dues in advance: $10 discount for three months ($110), $30 for six months ($210), $50 for nine months ($310) and $70 for a prepaid year ($410). The prepayment applies to consecutive months and is non-refundable in the case where the member does not attend one or more of the included months.
- The Full Time Student rate is $25 per month.
- Dues are payable at the beginning of the month. Members with unpaid dues will receive a bill via email.
- All members must join Shotokan Karate of America (SKA).
- Kyu examination fees are included in the member’s monthly dues.
Can I try it out first?
You bet! Please arrive 15 minutes early to sign a release and talk with the instructor. You will not be involved in any contact activities like sparring.
What should I wear?
Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
I have never trained, do you have an absolute beginner’s program?
Please come to any of our classes: Monday, Wednesday or Saturday. We usually have multiple black belts available to provide you with one on one training and give beginners a jump start.
Where can I get a uniform?
We have 100% cotton uniforms in stock for immediate purchase. They come in eight and twelve ounce weights. Let us know in advance if you are interested so we can bring them with us for you to try on.
Can I retain my rank from another style of martial arts?
We respect other styles and much of what you learned may turn out to be directly transferable. If you are interested in continuing with SKA you will be evaluated, ranked and encouraged to advance.
What is special training?
Special training sessions are intense Shotokan karate boot camps held at various locations all over the world. They are designed to give the practitioner the opportunity to polish their karate, push beyond their perceived limitations and interact with top level black belt seniors.
At what age can children start.
We accept children on a case by case basis. We are looking for kids that have a long enough attention span to last through an hour of class.
If my child trains at the dojo do I have to stay during class?
We prefer parents to stay but it is not a requirement.
How long does it take to get a black belt?
It depends. It can be as short as two years. Three to four is much more common.
Can my child get a black belt?
To obtain a black belt a student must be over the age of 16.